Moving Units: Radio-Active Records' Top 5 Releases for March 9-15
|After Beach House topped sales last week, are we seeing a theme?|
This week, Ramirez, Crossfade and record buyers all agreed that a new Gorillaz album is a big deal, and nearly as many Jimi Hendrix fans came to the party. Read more after the jump.
Radio-Active's Top 5 Releases for March 9-15:
1. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach (Virgin) "Gorillaz were long overdue for an album. Whether or not they still have their pull from Demon Days is another issue."
2. Jimi Hendrix - Valleys Of Neptune (Sony Legacy) "As reported last week, all of the collectors were up in arms over the limited edition Jimi Hendrix LP. No surprise there."
3. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Beat the Devil's Tattoo (Vagrant)
4. Broken Bells - Broken Bells (Columbia) "The equation for Broken Bells is as follows: 1 Dangermouse + 1 Shins member + upper echelon production techniques + 500 hyped bloggers = commercial success!"
5. Madlib's The Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble - Miles Away (Stones Throw) "Madlib's Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble is a knock out -- one of the finest contemporary cosmic jazz releases."
Mike's other thoughts on the week:
"Right now, all of the pre-orders and focus is on Record Store Day 2010. Some of the hyped releases include an unreleased Rolling Stones 45", a John Lennon 45" singles pack, a fan-curated 2xLP Pavement retrospective, and a 2xLP Sonic Youth retrospective. I got my eyes on the limited edition Neu! 12-inch and the Arthur Russell 2xLP."
Which albums will we be talking about next week?
"I'm currently enjoying the new Dum Dum Girls and Happy Birthday LPs, both off Sub Pop. I cannot give enough kudos to Serena Maneesh. Their new album is dripping with psychedelic guitar swirls, lush female vocals and plenty of reverb to show Primal Scream the kind of records they should be making instead of retro-garage dreck. Though the album's title, No. 2: Abyss in B Minor is about as pretentious as it gets."
Moving Units: Radio-Active Records' Top 5 Releases for March 2-8