Eleven Best Things to Do This Weekend
This weekend, Grand Central pulses with a great lineup that includes OMD one night and Peaches the next. There's a rowdy derby match tonight, which pis South Florida against Gainesville, and there's a drunken manatee-themed bike pub crawl on Saturday. Bottoms up, sea cows.
- Atmosphere: Twin Cities hip-hoppers Atmosphere bring emo-rap to the Fillmore Miami Beach.
- Diana Abu-Jaber: Finalist of Pen/Hemmingway award and winner of the American Book Award, Diana Abu-Jaber discusses her latest novel, Birds of Paradise, at Bookstore in the Grove. Look for our Q&A with her later today.
- Gold Coast Derby Grrls vs. Gainesville Roller Rebels: See our hometown derby team, ranked ninth in the region, take on Gainesville's Roller Rebels tonight at Bank United.
- Marc Anthony: Fresh off the heartbreak from his split with J.Lo, salsa pop-singer Marc Anthony holds court at American Airlines Arena.
- OMD: Over the past several months, original New Wavers Orchestral Maneavers in the Dark played their first North American tour as the original line up since 1988. Tonight, they hit Miami's Grand Central to play Brit pop classics "Messages," "Enola Gay," and "If You Leave," - a song immortalized by Pretty in Pink.
- Beer Snob Bike Crawl: Calling all pedaling beer snobs: Miami Bike Scene holds another pub crawl on two wheels this Saturday. Meet at Zeke's on Lincoln Road.
- University of Miami vs. Ohio State: Two scandalous college football teams knock helmets and grunt over pigskin at Sun Life Stadium.
- Peaches: Get ready for the teaches of Peaches! Although she usually graces our venues during Art Basel, the electro rapper/songstress, whose music blurs into crotch-centric performance art, lands at Grand Central this Saturday.
- Flosstradamus: Josh Young and Curt Cameruci (AKA Flosstradamus) play DJ Contra's Birthday Party at Bardot. Expect remixes of Matt & Kim and Mates of State, and whatever else they've been downloading from Hype Machine.
- Dolphins v. Texans: Here's to another 7-9 season! Let's do this!
- So You Think You Can Dance?: The hit TV show takes to the road with a Miami stop at the American Airlines Arena on Sunday. Season eight's finalists Caitlynn Lawson, Clarice Ordaz, Jess LeProtto, Jordan Casanova, Marko Germar, Mitchell Kelly, Sasha Mallory, Tadd Gadduang, season eight's winner, Melanie Moore, and Florida's own Ricky Jaime will perform.
Follow Cultist on Facebook and Twitter @CultistMiami.