Ten Best Things to Do This Weekend
It's a heady stew that includes a little Ace Ventura, a Jackie Chan sidekick, backspin hip-hoppers, and a Playboy centerfold/DJ. Read on for the ten best things to do this weekend and it will all make sense.
- Peter Bjorn and John: Seeing this Swedish band at Bardot will be like training for a marathon inside a studio apartment. But really, you must brave witnessing this hipster spectacle at the small venue. It's the only way to expel their whistle-y earworm "Young Folks" from your head.
- Doc Miami: The Borscht Film Festival never went ahead with their West Kendall International Film Festival -- so this Doral flick fest of true stories is the next best thing.
- Maya Film Festival: 'Tis the season of film festivals and this one centers on indie Latin-themed and Latino-staring movies. All screen at Shops at Sunset Place.
- I Am: Remember when Jim Carrey made his butt talk in Ace Ventura? The guy that gave him direction about how and when to spread those cheeks is at Gusman Theater tonight to present his introspective documentary I Am.
- Digable Planets' Doodlebug: Slick Rick isn't the only nostalgia act in town. Purveyors of 90s hip-hop cool, Digable Planets' Doodlebug will play Grand Central.
- Domino Tournament: Canada has street hockey, NYC has pickup games of basketball, and Miami has the clickety-clack of dominos. The table game gets competitive at this Doral tournament in honor of Hispanic Heritage Fest.
- Chris Tucker: He was Smokey in Friday and the funnyman to Jackie Chan in all the Rush Hour flicks. On Saturday, he'll be your comedian at the Fillmore Miami Beach. Look for our review on Sunday.
- Tchaikovsky's Fifth Symphony: It's only the preseason and New World Symphony is already selling out performances. Is it the lure of their new Frank Gehry building? Or is it that Saturday's composer has worked with Grizzly Bear and Anthony and the Johnsons?
- Slick Rick: The grand wizard MC, who's always reminding us how we like to party, will bring his kingly crown, bedazzled eye patch, and pile of gold necklaces to Eve on Saturday. We wish beatboxer Doug E. Fresh was with him.
DJ Tamara Sky presents I'm Da Shit, Bitch when she spins at Nikki Beach.
Click here to learn about her life on the decks, which involves Hugh
Hefner's rag and a few well-placed gators.