Free Events This Week: Poison Bliss, Out of Place, Eclipse
|Ted Vasin's "New Odor" is one of many enticing pieces on display at 101/exhibit|
No need to keep banging your head on that keyboard, though. Whether you're trapped in a stuffy office or not, you can always escape to some cool free events.
There is a slew of new art installations around town, a few of which we've highlighted for your benefit. Plus, the Secretary of State under Clinton (anyone? anyone?) is holding a book signing, and there is more than one dance party that begs for your attendance. Read on!
- Madeleine Albright: Fresh from her visit to The Daily Show, former Secretary of State Albright discusses her new book at Miami Dade College's Wolfson Campus.
- Make it a museum day: Head out to the Bay of Pigs Museum if you haven't had the chance. It'll make your Abuela proud, and you can finally learn why she hates JFK so much.
- Poison Bliss: Ted Vasin's gripping paintings, showing at 101/exhibit, merge grayscale with flamboyant colors to create oddly realistic images that are worth seeing.
- Camp Ricochet: Free pizza and trivia contests combine with great music at Ricochet to bring you back to the good ol' days of summer camp.
- Hi Fi Tuesday: WVUM's reigning DJ Laura of Miami spins at The Corner.
- Out of Place: You probably haven't seen anything like Mastermind winner Christy Gast's burlap sculptures on exhibit at Gallery Diet. Who knew they could be used for anything besides holding potatoes and sack racing?
- 1Love Wednesday: Get yourself over to Ricochet one more time for reggae and dancehall DJs through the night.
- Eclipse: Hannes Bend's show at Charest-Weinberg uses tires retrieved from the Osborne Reef to powerfully demonstrate the negative effect people can have on their environment.
Follow Cultist on Facebook and Twitter @CultistMiami.
300 NE 2nd Ave., Miami, FL
101 NE 40th St., Miami, FL
3250 NE 1st Ave., Miami, FL
1035 N. Miami Ave., Miami, FL
174 NW 23rd St., Miami, FL
250 NW 23rd St., Miami, FL