Free Events This Week: ArtOfficial, Slap & Tickle, Lillian Bassman
|DJ Troy Kurtz graces the Electric Pickle with some killer EDM this Tuesday.|
But regardless of your work woes, at least summer is starting to show itself -- via the ungodly heat and afro-inducing humidity. That's a plus, right?
Thankfully, the impending mugginess of this week is accompanied by new art installations, hip-hop shows, film screenings, and poetry nights. Best of all, they're -- you guessed it -- 100 percent free.
- Slap & Tickle: DJ dynamo and Gotta Dance Dirty contributor Troy Kurtz throws down at the Electric Pickle.
- Stone Groove Slam: Stone Groove shake it up at the Vagabond with their very own slam night including special prizes for the winners.
- Reading Art: Miami Art Museum's book club gets together to discuss Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy, by Robert Farris Thompson, at Books & Books Coral Gables.
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off: After studying footage of the Cubs game in the film, someone discovered last week that the actual date Ferris and Cameron played hooky was June 5, 1985. Celebrate a little early by attending a free showing of the classic at SoundScape Park.
- Scapes: Lynne Golob Gelfman's latest abstract paintings adorn the Frost Art Museum. Stop by and revel in her Dune series and more.
- So I Will Let It Alone and Talk About the House: New York's Meredyth Sparks presents her first large-scale installation at Locust Projects. While you're there, make sure to see Anya Kielar's new work, Lines.
- Lillian Bassman: Prints from the late fashion photographer are on display at Books & Books Miami Beach. Anyone who admires the looks on Mad Men is liable to love Bassman's classy black-and-whites.
Follow Cultist on Facebook and Twitter @CultistMiami.