Free Events This Week: ArtOfficial, Slap & Tickle, Lillian Bassman
|DJ Troy Kurtz graces the Electric Pickle with some killer EDM this Tuesday.|
But regardless of your work woes, at least summer is starting to show itself -- via the ungodly heat and afro-inducing humidity. That's a plus, right?
Thankfully, the impending mugginess of this week is accompanied by new art installations, hip-hop shows, film screenings, and poetry nights. Best of all, they're -- you guessed it -- 100 percent free.
- Slap & Tickle: DJ dynamo and Gotta Dance Dirty contributor Troy Kurtz throws down at the Electric Pickle.
- Stone Groove Slam: Stone Groove shake it up at the Vagabond with their very own slam night including special prizes for the winners.
- Reading Art: Miami Art Museum's book club gets together to discuss Flash of the Spirit: African & Afro-American Art & Philosophy, by Robert Farris Thompson, at Books & Books Coral Gables.
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off: After studying footage of the Cubs game in the film, someone discovered last week that the actual date Ferris and Cameron played hooky was June 5, 1985. Celebrate a little early by attending a free showing of the classic at SoundScape Park.
- Scapes: Lynne Golob Gelfman's latest abstract paintings adorn the Frost Art Museum. Stop by and revel in her Dune series and more.
- So I Will Let It Alone and Talk About the House: New York's Meredyth Sparks presents her first large-scale installation at Locust Projects. While you're there, make sure to see Anya Kielar's new work, Lines.
- Lillian Bassman: Prints from the late fashion photographer are on display at Books & Books Miami Beach. Anyone who admires the looks on Mad Men is liable to love Bassman's classy black-and-whites.
Follow Cultist on Facebook and Twitter @CultistMiami.
2826 N. Miami Ave., Miami, FL
30 NE 14th St., Miami, FL
265 Aragon Ave., Coral Gables, FL
400 17th St., Miami Beach, FL
10975 SW 17th St. Miami, FL, Miami, FL
3852 N. Miami Ave., Miami, FL
927 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach, FL