Free Events This Week: Reggae Roots, Inverted Night, Cruise Pre-Party
|Water ballerinas like those above will make you feel like a lazy bum after you see them perform this Thursday|
Anyway, we say it's okay to take an extra day to recoup. Call in sick, turn out the lights, and crawl back into bed if you have to. But take your computer with you so you can map out your weekly plans -- your more responsible, less alcohol-dependent plans. Read on for free reggae parties, author readings, and art installations that will leaving you satisfied without spending a dime.
- Rootsy Juicy: Jean Pokito and the Jean P. Jam lay out a night of deep roots music for the reggae lovers at Purdy Lounge.
- Inverted Night: This new installation by Brookhart Jonquil is well worth a visit to the de la Cruz Collection Contemporary Art Space.
- In the Mix: Trying to make it in the music business? So is everyone else. Step up your game by attending this casual networker. Hosted by the Florida chapter of the Recording Academy, In the Mix welcomes anyone interested in music or learning how to join the Recording Academy. Head over to Jeronimo's Bar for hors d'oeuvres and drinks.
- Not the Last Goodbye: Franklin Servan-Schreiber discusses and reads from Not the Last Goodbye, a book by his brother and international bestseller Dr. David Servan-Schreiber. Books & Books hosts this solemn and enriching event which will touch upon living with serious illnesses, empowering patients and finding spiritual solace.
- West Side Story: Every woman we know named Maria harbors a secret resentment for this musical. Those individuals aside, countless people know and love the music of West Side Story. Check out an outdoor screening of this classic at SoundScape Park.
- 311 Caribbean Cruise Pre-Party: Grand Central presents a pre-party that rivals the 311 Cruise. DJs Michael Baroody, Kane G and Trichrome will be spinning throughout the night. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org for free admission.
- Jazz It Up: Students from the University of Miami Jazz Band play deftly and sweetly at Miami Tower.
- A Poetic Afternoon in Paradice: Polymath Manoucher Parvin presents his latest poetic novel, Out of the Gray: A Concerto for Neurons and Synapses at the Miami Beach Botanical Garden. A professor published in the fields of science, history and engineering, Parvin will discuss Persian poetry and culture in addition to reading poems from his fifth novel.
- Mother's Day Drinks: What better way to show your momma you love her than with a classy night of wine and champagne at Wine By the Bay? This tasting of scrumptious boutiques is free for mothers, but everyone else has a $15 entry fee. Don't be jealous - mom has earned it.
- An Evening of Water Ballet: The Miami Dance Festival presents the Momentum Dance Company as they perform in the outdoor pool of the National Hotel. A lot of us grew up wanting to be ballerinas, but a water ballerina? We doubt there is anything more chic.
Follow Cultist on Facebook and Twitter @CultistMiami.