Hey now, not every Republican Senator is ready to warmly welcome Charlie Crist into his or her little club. Nope. Jim DeMint, the junior Senator from South Carolina, is ready to endorse Crist's fledgling primary opponent Marco Rubio, according to Politico, at least
Lets see what wonderful things Sen. DeMint stands for.
- Believes that openly gay people should not be allowed to teach in public schools.
- For that matter, he once told a reporter that single mothers who live with boyfriends shouldn't teach in public school either. He later apologized for both remarks.
- Thinks sending kids to public schools is about the same as signing them up for a gang. Again, he sort of apologized.
- Rated 7% by the NAACP, 0% by the HRC, and 7% by the ACLU
- Believes the visitor center at the US Capitol is full of left-leaning distortions of history, and an "offensive refusal to honor America's God-given blessings."
- Favors banning all forms of abortion.
- Opposes any stimulus money supporting, umm, bicycles or walking.
More interestingly, DeMint favors deporting all illegal immigrants. Accepting the support of anti-immigration politicians while trying to appeal to Florida's Hispanic population should make for some interesting political dances by Rubio.
The endorsement is expected to officially come tomorrow. We have a feeling that DeMint's support comes more from political positioning than any out-and-out fondness for Rubio. DeMint has been named the most conservative Senator by the National Journal the past two years, and enjoys a good deal of support on the far right of the party. That's the same far right that holds the center-leaning, populist Charlie Crist in such contempt. How many of Crist's fiercest detractors actually live in Florida, doesn't seem to really matter.