|kevinv033 via flickr|
An enthusiastic 22-year-old foodie named Eric dropped by El Toro Taco three weeks ago. He ordered some grub and then logged into Yelp
to write about it. "The food is affordable and delicious," he gushed. "My favorite thing to get is just tacos, ground beef, extra cheese, and a side of their bean dip. I would, however, recommend practically everything."
He should have read New Times
. The same week, we reported
a bubbly 32-year-old mother had died from a bacterial infection of the blood after eating food from the restaurant. Now, public records show the classic Homestead joint is in more trouble. On July 7, the health department found 23 sanitation and safety law violations. Inspectors "ordered operations stopped until violations are corrected."
Some of the charges were for repeat offenses. They included "10 to 12 live roaches" and "food stored on [the] floor." Additionally, the "certified manager was unable to answer basic food code questions."
As of this past Thursday evening, the restaurant was open. Owner Hector Hernandez would say only that the violations were "all under appeal." He added, "I think [the inspectors] were just pissed off because of the article you guys wrote."