Around Town This Weekend: Oscar Shorts, Delta Blues, and Spank Rock
- They just might rename The Oscars, The Avatars, in honor of the all-consuming blockbuster behemoth that inspired our movie critic to exclaim: "Let no one call so spectacular an instance of political correctness run amok 'entertaining.'" Switch your focus to the oft-overlooked Oscars Shorts competition; you can catch all ten nominated shorts at the Miami Beach Cinematheque this weekend. The animated series starts at 7 p.m. and live action screens at 9 p.m.
- Brace yourself. Soon there will be generations of children asking: Who's Robert Johnson? But for now, delta blues legends still walk among us; see David "Honeyboy" Edwards this Saturday at the Colony, and hear what 94 years of pent-up blues sounds like.
- Fans of M.I.A. and Santigold should check out Philly rapper Amanda Blank at Electric Pickle's Pop Life party this Saturday.
- She's Miami's little indie darling, and she's just so damn cute. No excuses if you haven't seen her play live; Rachel Goodrich plays a free in-store show at Sweat.
- On their online tour page, Tegan and Sara list Miami's Sunset Cove as one of their tour stops. (Psst, Canadian ladies. You're actually coming to the suburbian Boca Raton.) It's OK, we'll make the drive.