Around Town: Exxotica, Michael Franti, Wyclef Jean, Prefuse 73, and Major Lazer
- Hey, window-minimizing, late-night closeted porn lovers, head into the windowless Miami Beach Convention Center to admire naked people in the company of other perverts. Exxxotica. See you there.
- We first heard Michael Franti & Spearhead back in 1995 when their "Hole in the Bucket" blasted through a Pacific Sunwear store. We've stopped wearing Hang Ten faux surf gear, but we're still fans. Hear their roots, rock, reggae blend at the Fillmore tonight. Shoes optional.
- The three-day Pro-Am Hip-Hop conference kicks off tonight with the Prince Markie Dee Honoree Party at the Catalina hotel.
- The highlight of Grand Central's opening weekend, Major Lazer (Diplo + Switch), plays this Saturday. Who the heck are they? See below.
- Is she the next Celia Cruz? Come judge the azucar-worthiness of Cuban-born, Spain-based singer Lucrecia at Arsht.
- Synthesis, a new annual music and art fest at the Awarehouse, includes performances by Prefuse 73, Otto Von Schirach, Peasants With Feathers, and oh, forget it. There's going to be a bunch of cool live music, OK?
- The most popular export out of Haiti, Wyclef Jean, headlines the Haitian Compas Festival concert at Bayfront Park.
Does your car go boom louder your neighbor's? Then roll your donk into the Car Warz competition in Fort Lauderdale to finally find out who's got the best ride.
- Stop your boycott of Arizona Ice Tea (Psst: It's made in Long Island) and go see the border drama Northless, a screening of the Hola Mexico Film Festival.
- Party at Klutch (coed) and Score (sorry, ladies only) for the last day of Aqua Girl.