Dolphins Rank Near Bottom of "Most Successful" NFL Franchises for 2009
1. Winning percentage in regular season (20 percent)The Dolphins' 23rd ranking put them among the 10 least successful teams. Though the divisional rival Buffalo Bills and erstwhile instate rival Tampa Bay Buccaneers each were considered less successful. The Detroit Lions were the least successful.
2. Average margin (difference between points scored and points allowed per game, 20 percent)
3. Playoff performance (sliding scale from the Super Bowl winner to teams that did not qualify for the playoffs, 10 percent)
4. Average attendance at home games (15 percent)
5. Percent of available seats occupied at home games (15 percent)
6. Estimated value of franchise (20 percent)
Even though the New Orleans Saints took up a Super Bowl championship here in town, that wasn't enough to get them the number one spot. Thanks to business reasons, the Dallas Cowboys reign at number one. The New England Patriots and New York Jets came in at 4th and 5th respectively.