Vote Yes On Question #56 And Fight Public Corruption
Some of the notorious public corruption cases handled by the inspector general include:
- The 2004 Miami International Airport fuel farm heist.
- The 2005 bust of a former circuit court judge for defrauding a program to help disadvantaged kids.
- The 2006 probe into abuse of the county's off-duty cop services.
- The 2007 arrest of a prominent former Miami banker for defrauding the Miami-Dade Housing Agency.
- The 2008 scam by a TSA employee to obtain free parking at Miami International Airport by claiming to be handicapped.
- The 2009 audit of a non-profit agency for inner city children ran into the ground by a former county commissioner.
- The 2010 investigation into high-ranking police officials moonlighting in Panama on the public dime.
Last week, we interviewed Christopher Mazzella, the county's inspector general, to get his take on why his office should be woven into the home rule charter. Here is what he had to say:
Follow Miami New Times on Facebook and Twitter @MiamiNewTimes.