An 80-Year-Old Florida Woman Accidentally Swallowed $5,000 in Diamonds at a Charity Ball
|photo by Gregory Phillips via Wikimedia Commons|
Yeah, you know where this is going.
As a pair of professional jewelers went table to table to look in each glass to make sure someone wasn't mistaking their diamond prize for the worthless cubic zirconium dropped in every other glass, an 80-year-old attendee named Miriam Tucker finally realized she may have screwed up, the Tampa Bay Times reports.
"I thought I'd drink a bit of champagne so I didn't have to stick my finger so far into the glass," Tucker, a retired real estate broker, tells the paper. "We were laughing and talking when I realized I swallowed it."
An embarrassed Tucker stayed quiet until nearly the whole room was empty, hoping all along that she'd gulped down a cubic zirconium and the winner would be found.
Nope. That $5,000 of bling was in Tucker's stomach.
The event's organizer insisted they rush to a hospital for an X-ray, which couldn't find the gem. But, as luck would have it, Tucker was already scheduled for a colonoscopy the next day, and -- after getting a rundown on the missing diamond story -- her doc found the gem.
Tucker's daughter took it -- wrapped in a biohazard bag -- to a presumably fairly grossed out jeweler who confirmed it was the real deal, cleaned it up and returned it to the winner. (And, we hope, was heavily paid for his services.)
"All's well that ends well," Tucker tells the Times.
Follow Miami New Times on Facebook and Twitter @MiamiNewTimes.