Searching For Fugu
Remember the old Simpsons episode where Homer eats the poison sushi? The stuff was called Fugu, and it's made out of pufferfish/blowfish. It can be more poisonous than getting bit by a dog that just got bit by a rattlesnake that's been eating hemlock out of an old tin can full of rusty used razorblades and syringes.
So it's no surprise you need a special license just to prepare it. I recently started calling sushi joints out of our database to see about ordering a plate. Here are some of the responses I got...
Sushi Maki Restaurant - (305) 443-1884
- "We don't have that kind of fish."
Me - I'll give you $5000 you can get that kind of fish
- Okay I put you through to the manager, what's your name
Me - (hang up laughing)
Shoji & Shoji Sushi - (305) 532-4245
- I'm not really too, enlighten me, I'll put you online with my executive chef.
Me - It's poisonous blowfish
- Oh. He'll call you.
Sushi Rock Cafe - (305) 305-532-2133
- Oh nah bro, that's really hard to serve that I don't know bro. It's really dangerous. I know they do that in Japan, but you gotta have a license for that here.
Matsuri Japanese Restaurant - (305) 663-1615
- Whats a bluefish
Sushi Siam Morningside Inc. - (305) 751-7818
- We don't do that, we don't have the thing to do that. I don't know how to do that. We don't serve poison here. You need license to do that.
So, as you can see, I haven't yet found the elusive fugu. But only time will tell what kind of back alley sushi deal I can work out for $5000 or $10,000. In the meantime I found this video that shows you how to make it.
- Jacob Katel