Mexican-Grilled Zellwood Corn and BBQ Peach Carpaccio
|Chef Kurtis Jantz|
"This dish is a great summertime creation. It's very light," Galiano explains. "Both peaches and corn are in full swing right now for summer as well as our chosen cooking technique of grillin'. We suggest a side glass of iced sangria spiked with apricot brandy... a margarita would be nice as well."
|From the farmers|
|This has to be good|
The plate elements are as follows. It's not your traditional recipe -- more like a list of processes for the components -- but what is in this 'test kitchen' is anyway?
* zellwood corn- steam or boil the shucked ears for a minute to tenderize, then coat with butter and grill until browned, shave kernels off carefully so that they stay in clusters
* yellow peaches- cut in half, remove stone pit, lightly grill for color, slice very thin
* chipotle honey cream- blend 1/2 each chipotle pepper (from can, chipotle in adobo), with 1 1/2 Tbsp of honey, 1 tsp sour cream and 1 cup of cream. Be careful with the adobos and use less if you don't like spicy... these suckers are HOT!
* lime vinaigrette- very simple... squeeze out 1 lime, and whisk in a teaspoon or so of extra virgin olive oil
* mexi-cocoa popcorn- pop some popcorn on the stove, and dust with some Mexican bitter chocolate shaved on a microplane. Reserve extra shavings for plate presentation
* cotija cheese- grated fine
* herbs- we used some micro cilantro from Tropical Delights in Homestead who have a unique and interesting variety of horticulture on their farm. The darker leaves are from an oregano 'vine' growing right outside of Chef Kurtis' front door... just clip and go!
* lime wedges... for garnish and an extra hit of lime on the dish
|Chef Kurtis Jantz|
|Peaches & Creamsicle, zellwood corn pudding, 83º corn kernels, piquillo pepper mostarda, foie fat & queso tamale, basil drops, foie powder|
And if you fancy more whimsy like in this here photo, check out Paradigm at Neomi's Restaurant inside the Trump International Beach Resort in Sunny Isles Beach, every Friday, 10 seats, 10 courses, 7 p.m. They also have a Scotch pairing dinner scheduled for June 25.