Food Reigns at the First Annual Soul Fest Weekend at the Stage
The Stage (which New Times picked as this year's Best New Venue for Live Music) will host the first annual Soul Fest Weekend July 29 to 31, adding Miami to the prestigious list of cities that host the fest of soul. The festival will be a groovy collaboration, with music by the likes of Poppa E, Electric Piquete and Joel DaSilva & the Midnight Howl; art by LEBO Studios; and great, glorious food (what we most care about around here).
Michael Schwartz's MGFD Food Cart leads the pack as the weekend's main contributor of soulful food, on location both Friday and Saturday beginning at 9 p.m.
- Crispy pork belly sandwich with spicy mustard slaw, $7
- Chickpea and vegetable stew with jasmine rice, $7
- Fried chicken, 3 pieces, $8
- Coleslaw, $3
- Peach and radish salad with almonds & feta, $5
- Junk-in-the-trunk brownie, $5
Plus, guest mixologist Ryan Goodspeed, of MGFD, will be on hand to mix the event's specialty cocktail -- Tutti Frutti -- with Cricket Nelson, the Stage's resident mixologist.
Here's a peek at the Tutti Frutti recipe:
- 1 oz. rye
- 1 oz. Aperol
- 1 1/4 oz. Crème de Violette
- 1/4 oz. fresh lemon
If that isn't enough food, there will be a free daytime back-yard barbecue (for the measly admission of $5) Saturday from 5 to 9 p.m. We suggest you make a day of it and just eat, eat, eat.
Ms. Cheezious takes over Sunday at 4 p.m. with sexy comfort food and specialty menu items created for the event.
- Fried chicken and waffle melt served with country gravy and maple syrup, $8
- Fried green tomatoes with buttermilk herb dressing, $4
- Seasonal fruit salad with mint sugar, $4
If you go Sunday, you'll also get to experience the venue's signature weekly event, Sunday Sunset Party, i.e. the only way to end your week.
We say any party hosted by Carlos Garcia is a party we want to attend! Start wrangling your friends, yo.
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.