88. Carnitas Torta at Mercadito's Taqueria
Mercadito's Taqueria in Midtown is the casual taco joint next door to the original restaurant, for those interested in a more of a quickie.Their torta, which they simply describe as a "Mexican hot sandwich" is available with your choice of protein - and while the steak, chicken, and tilapia versions are tempting, the one that makes our favorite list is the carnitas. They load the bread with chipotle barbeque pulled pork that has a mix of slaw and crispy onions. Then they toss on bean puree, avocado and fresh tomatoes, along with a heaping mound of shredded Napa cabbage for a textural crunch (plus, you need something with a slight bitterness to cut through the richness of the other ingredients). They top it with a blanket of oaxaca cheese, a creamy mild white cheese that sticks to, and traps all the good stuff underneath it. Makes it easier to actually take a bite without all of the insides oozing out. You'll have to open wide though.
100 Favorites Dishes
89. Bone Marrow Ropa Vieja at Eating House
90. Mushroom-Crusted Grouper at the River Seafood & Oyster Bar
91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart with Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.