90. Mushroom-Crusted Grouper at the River Seafood & Oyster Bar
We like the River for all sorts of reasons. Since opening downtown in 2003, it has become a neighborhood institution, a place where locals hang out at the bar over cocktails, craft draft beers, and any of some 250 wines. Creative small-plate snacks, fresh seafood dinners, and of course the eight-to-ten types of fresh oysters on hand are always a draw. How to pick a favorite dish at one of our favorite spots?
Easy: Take a bite of mushroom-crusted grouper in a truffled mushroom broth flecked with shiitake caps. The tall hunk of fish is flaky and moist, the earthy accompanying notes juxtaposed with sweet parsnip puree and flecks of thyme. It's a $28 bargain, and one of many things that keep The River overflowing with fans.
100 Favorites Dishes
91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart with Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.