91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
|Rosalba Pico Estrada|
Yakko-San has been something of a home away from home for me since I was first introduced to it last year. After my first visit, it became the place I'd crave once a week, at the very least. At their old West Dixie Highway location, a friend and I would pull up chairs at the kitchen/bar, and watch the chefs do what chefs do to provide the outrageously good culinary creations for eager, hungry guests. Two Capilcos (a Japanese milk drink), and an order of crispy bok choy would be usuals for our visits, but the highlight was (and remains) the crispy pork and onion salad ($7.50).
I can't quite put my finger on why this dish is just so damn delicious. It boasts plenty crispy pork, thinly sliced radishes, cherry tomatoes, all the red onion you could ever dream of, spicy sesame oil and ponzu sauce. There's a certain tang and a certain heat (from the sesame oil and onions) to it -- and the freshness of the veggies combine oh-so-well with the crispy piggy goodness. Once you've slopped up your last onion, the sauce left behind on the plate is like the prize at the end for finishing your dinner. My recommendation is to screw table etiquette and go for it with a straw. Don't be shy. I've done it plenty a time (with photos to prove it!).
In fact, the thought of this gem of a dish makes me want to haul my Miami Beach dwelling self over to their new Aventura location right now to get one (they're open until 3a.m. everyday). That said, we're going to have to cut this piece short. It's midnight right now but that pork and onion salad is waiting for me -- I'm off to go get one.
100 Favorites Dishes
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart with Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.