78. Horiatiki at Egg & Dart
It isn't difficult to put together a respectable horiatiki salad. Anyone with access to tomato, cucumber, red onion, bell pepper, feta cheese, Kalamata olives, olive oil, vinegar, and dried oregano can toss 'em all together and end up with a Greek salad. What makes the rendition at Egg & Dart so damn tasty is the quality of cheese (a soft, thick, generous slab of Greek feta); of tomato (red, ripe, sweet); and of olive oil (a fruity extra virgin Cretan blend). The price is $15.
And you can wash it down with a Greek Salad -- meaning a cocktail of Smooth Ambler gin, tomato water, muddled cucumbers, pepperoncini and lime, garnished with feta-stuffed kalamata olives ($9).
Perhaps most importantly, the horiatiki here will taste better than the one you make at home because you'll be eating it in a modern, rustic, and festive Greek environment with friendly waiters and a giddy crowd of patrons. Co-owners Costa Grillas (from Maria's) and Niko Theodorou wouldn't have it any other way.
100 Favorites Dishes
79. Pork Rillettes at Buena Vista Deli
80. Chicken Fricassee at Le Bouchon Du Grove
81. Bacon & Egg Udon at Gigi
82. Wagyu Gunkan at SushiSamba Dromo
83. Grilled Tiger Prawns at Mare Nostrum
84. The Lokal Burger at Lokal
85. Porchetta Sandwich at Salumeria 104
86. Nitro Ice Cream at Haven Gastro-Lounge
87. Red Burger at Red Restaurant
88. Carnitas Torta at Mercadito's Taqueria
89. Bone Marrow Ropa Vieja at Eating House
90. Mushroom-Crusted Grouper at the River Seafood & Oyster Bar
91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart with Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.