79. Pork Rillettes at Buena Vista Deli
Rillettes are not difficult to make -- all it takes is pork fat and patience. Yet, the effort seems exponential in comparison to a quick run to Buena Vista Deli resulting in instant gratification.
Although they sell it in sandwich format with cornichons and mustard on a golden brown baguette (good), we like to buy a long French crusty loaf and get their pork rillettes by the pound (even better). Thin strands of silky meat are bound together by buttery fat; sometimes, there are even pockets of fat globules that you can smear as a top layer of paste over your meat.
Sprinkle a bit of sea salt, open a bottle of red from the Loire Valley, and be transported to a rustic farmhouse in France where little piggies become big crocks of smooth and salty rillettes ($12.95 per pound).
100 Favorites Dishes
80. Chicken Fricassee at Le Bouchon Du Grove
81. Bacon & Egg Udon at Gigi
82. Wagyu Gunkan at SushiSamba Dromo
83. Grilled Tiger Prawns at Mare Nostrum
84. The Lokal Burger at Lokal
85. Porchetta Sandwich at Salumeria 104
86. Nitro Ice Cream at Haven Gastro-Lounge
87. Red Burger at Red Restaurant
88. Carnitas Torta at Mercadito's Taqueria
89. Bone Marrow Ropa Vieja at Eating House
90. Mushroom-Crusted Grouper at the River Seafood & Oyster Bar
91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart with Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.