83. Grilled Tiger Prawns at Mare Nostrum
The "langostinos al grill" ($22.95) at Brickell newcomer Mare Nostrum are simply prepared and deceptively lacking in bells and whistles, so we didn't except to fall in love so easily. This dish takes us to a tiny cafe in Positano (or anywhere with jutting cliffs and big blue waves along the southern coast of Italy) with an authentic replication of what they do best in the Mediterranean region; focus on the main ingredient.
Balloon-sized tiger prawns are char-grilled and generously seasoned with specks of sea salt. A grating of fresh lemon zest and a drizzle of high-quality olive oil, cover the shrimp in a wet blanket of citrus and buttery, grassy scented aroma. There is an inherent smoky flavor of the grill, giving the prawns crispy blackened edges. True aficionados will bite the heads off first, and suck out all the slimy, tasty insides that accumulate. We like to eat the crunchy little eyes too, but hey, if that is the equivalent of a seafood b-horror movie to you, skip it. You will still be in prawn heaven.
100 Favorites Dishes
84. The Lokal Burger at Lokal
85. Porchetta Sandwich at Salumeria 104
86. Nitro Ice Cream at Haven Gastro-Lounge
87. Red Burger at Red Restaurant
88. Carnitas Torta at Mercadito's Taqueria
89. Bone Marrow Ropa Vieja at Eating House
90. Mushroom-Crusted Grouper at the River Seafood & Oyster Bar
91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart with Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.