68. Corn Bread at Peoples Barbecue
We don't get fantastic corn bread around these parts. Coming across good corn bread here is like spotting the Sasquatch in Oleta Park. Coming across great corn bread is like spotting Jesus throwing out singles at Swinging Richards. You just never see it. Unless you find yourself at Peoples Barbecue.
To say this corn bread is delicious would grossly understate it. "Delicious" does no justice. In fact, delicious wishes it was Peoples Barbecue corn bread. A friend and I were on the hunt for the best barbecue in town. On our day of gastronomic explorations, we found ourselves in Overtown, on the other side of I-95, slightly wary of the area but too hungry to pay much attention.
We were sat down, given menus, silverware and napkins, and then the waitress came over with a steaming basket of corn bread muffins. Three of them. Sitting there like little puppies in a basket begging for your attention. It took about 1.5 seconds for me to reach over and bite into the most wonderful combination of flavor and texture that I have ever experienced.
It was warm, it was corny, and I inadvertently found myself whispering sweet nothings to my muffin... corn bread muffin, that is. It was embarrassing, but what's a girl to do when she finds the greatest thing on earth?
The top is crunchy and sweet, and the bottom is soft and buttery. Six muffins and one waitress assault later (I sort of instinctively grabbed the waitress's arm as she tried walking away with a half-eaten muffin), we left in a drunken stupor. The corn bread made us both insane - willing and able to go back for more... today.
100 Favorites Dishes
69. Truffle Artichoke Soup at Villa Mayfair
70. Portobello Mushroom Sandwich at the Café at Books & Books
71. Grilled Wings at Shuckers Bar & Grill
72. Turkey and Prosciutto With Fresh Mozzarella at La Sandwicherie
73. Creamy Tahini With Hummus at Broken Shaker
74. Kobe Burger at CG Burgers
75. Brie Mozzarella Sticks at the Local
76. Paleta de Elote at La Michoacana Paleteria
77. Strawberry Fields Roll at I Love Sushi
79. Pork Rillettes at Buena Vista Deli
80. Chicken Fricassee at Le Bouchon Du Grove
81. Bacon & Egg Udon at Gigi
82. Wagyu Gunkan at SushiSamba Dromo
83. Grilled Tiger Prawns at Mare Nostrum
84. The Lokal Burger at Lokal
85. Porchetta Sandwich at Salumeria 104
86. Nitro Ice Cream at Haven Gastro-Lounge
87. Red Burger at Red Restaurant
88. Carnitas Torta at Mercadito's Taqueria
89. Bone Marrow Ropa Vieja at Eating House
90. Mushroom-Crusted Grouper at the River Seafood & Oyster Bar
91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart With Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.