76. Paleta de Elote at La Michoacana Paleteria
|Photo by Trina Sargalski|
Sometimes (better said, most times) we're turned off by unconventionally used ingredients. For example: corn. The first few things that probably go through your mind are corn on the cob, corn casserole, perhaps baked beans and barbecue ribs. For the U.S., corn screams Southern comfort. But just past the border, corn, or elote, screams a different kind of southern comfort.
A paleta de elote might freak some people out, at first. "A corn Popsicle? Gross." Yeah, the idea is a little strange, but think of it this way: a perfect corn on the cob would be crunchy, meaty, and (drum roll, please) sweet! Naturally, my good ancestors down in the mother land figured, well, hey, if corn is naturally sweet, turning it into a dessert can't be too bad.
No, dearest ancestors, it ain't bad at all!
Behold the paleta de elote: sweet, creamy, and yes, very corny. Essentially, it's sweet corn on a stick. You eat that all the time, right?
What's most interesting about this pop is that the second it hits your tongue, the weird idea of corn in your dessert melts away. When you try it, you'll think, "This is the way corn should be prepared."
Just be forewarned: it's the kind of thing you have to try only once. Why once, you ask? Because inside the paleta is a little Mexican ancestor that guarantees your complete and utter satisfaction. So, it only takes one try to be in love with it forever.
100 Favorites Dishes
77. Strawberry Fields Roll at I Love Sushi
79. Pork Rillettes at Buena Vista Deli
80. Chicken Fricassee at Le Bouchon Du Grove
81. Bacon & Egg Udon at Gigi
82. Wagyu Gunkan at SushiSamba Dromo
83. Grilled Tiger Prawns at Mare Nostrum
84. The Lokal Burger at Lokal
85. Porchetta Sandwich at Salumeria 104
86. Nitro Ice Cream at Haven Gastro-Lounge
87. Red Burger at Red Restaurant
88. Carnitas Torta at Mercadito's Taqueria
89. Bone Marrow Ropa Vieja at Eating House
90. Mushroom-Crusted Grouper at the River Seafood & Oyster Bar
91. Crispy Pork and Onion Salad at Hiro's Yakko-San
92. Moqueca Brazileira at Pearl Restaurant & Lounge
93. Corvina at Edge Steak and Bar
94. Spiked Frrrozen Hot Chocolate at Serendipity 3
95. Egg Custard Tart with Black Truffles at Philip Ho
96. Soft Pretzels at Mister Collins
97. Serrano Ham Croquettes at Crazy About You
98. The Elena Ruth Sandwich at Sergio's
99. Chow Fun at Chow Down Grill
100. Grilled Artichoke at Peacock Garden Cafe
Follow Short Order on Facebook and Twitter @Short_Order.