How To: A DIY Pallet Garden For Apartments With Balconies (Photos)
|All photos by David Minsky|
The pallet garden is simply a wooden pallet from which a garden is made. It fits perfectly on a small balcony. All of the materials are easily found and/or bought with little money. With a little time, tools and some effort, you get a nice morale booster to fight the occasional doldrums of apartment life.
Pallets are found throughout the city: behind shops, grocery stores, alleyways, dumpsters, construction sites, warehouses. Always remember to acquire one legally, but who's really paying attention? Just simply ask for one, chances are the answer will be yes.
|Remember to acquire one of these legally.|
- A handsaw ($5 at a hardware store)
- One big flat-head screwdriver
- A hammer
- A measuring tape or ruler
- Two dozen nails
- A few rolls of gauze or 4 pairs of pantyhose
- One bag of potting soil ($5 at Walmart or elsewhere)
- Some potted herbs (basil, oregano, dill, marjoram, spearmint: ~$30)