October 2012 Restaurant Openings and Closings
|Toro Toro opens in downtown Miami.|
Already we're seeing restaurants come onto the scene in anticipation of the arrival of snowbirds flying south for the winter, tourists coming for a winter tan, and a slew of major events like Art Basel and the South Beach Wine and Food Festival.
- In South Street and Cooper Avenue, Miami's Hottest Restaurateur Embarks on His Most Ambitious Ventures
- Toro Toro: Rodizio Grill and Crafted Cocktails in Downtown Miami
- Three New British-Inspired Spots to Open in Brickell
This month we welcomed the arrival of two new Amir Ben-Zion ventures -- multi-use Cooper Avenue, which features everything from cocktails by Bar Lab to take-out sandwiches, and South Street, a restaurant blending soul food with soulful tunes.
Other notable restaurants to open in October include Toro Toro at the Intercontinental Hotel and The Hoxton in Brickell.
And we welcome back Joe's Stone Crab for the start of their 100th year of giving Miami crabs.
We're pleased to note that only a few restaurants ended their run, the only surprise being Georgia's Union, which closed after only a three-month run. Eating House makes our list, but not for long. The restaurant, which started as a pop-up, then closed, then reopened as a pop-up (whew), has closed for some further renovations and will open in a few weeks as a permanent addition to Miami's restaurant scene.
Looking forward, we're anticipating Kris Wessel's Florida Cookery, Dena Marino's MC Kitchen, and 50 Egg's Khong in the near future -- to name but a few.
- Abuela's Cuban Kitchen
- Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza
- Buddha Sushi Bar
- Cheese Course in Aventura Mall
- Cooper Avenue
- Hyde at American Airlines Arena
- La Suite
- Machiya Ramen Noodle House
- Room Service Restaurant Lounge
- South Street
- The Hoxton
- Thea Pizzeria and Cafe
- Toro Toro