White House Unveils Gingerbread House With Giant Edible Bo (Recipe and Video)
|Obama Foodorama via Twitter|
|Man eats dog...as long as its marzipan.|
Bo, you see, is part of the 300-pound 2012 gingerbread White House that First Lady Michelle Obama unveiled before a group of military families and press last week.
The house, which took six weeks to make by White House executive pastry chef Bill Yosses and staff, features sugar spun windows lit from within, an edible vegetable garden..and a giant Bo Obama frolicking outside the house.
The gingerbread house is part of the holiday decorations, themed "Joy to All". 54 different Christmas trees and the house are on display. About 90,000 visitors are expected to visit the Obamas for Christmas this year.
Here's a video from 2009, showing exactly how the intricate annual gingerbread house is created:
The White House also released a holiday cookie recipe (we hear Santa's a Democrat):
White House Ginger Crinkles
A recipe from the White House Pastry Kitchen
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ cup granulated sugar (for dipping)
8 oz. (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
2 whole eggs
¹⁄³ cup molasses
2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar in large mixing bowl until creamy.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Add molasses and fresh ginger.
5. Combine !our, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, and salt in a small mixing bowl.
6. Add the flour mixture to large mixing bowl, and stir until combined.
7. Use a small spoon to scoop cookies into small balls, dip in ¼ cup of granulated sugar, and place on parchment-lined baking sheet sugar side up.
8. Bake at 350° F for 12 minutes, or less if you like them chewy.
9. Remove from oven and allow cookies to rest for 2 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
Yields 30-36 cookies. Follow Laine Doss on Twitter @LaineDoss and Facebook.
Follow Short Order on Facebook , on Twitter @Short_Order, and Instagram @ShortOrder.