December 2012 Restaurant Openings and Closings
|Khong River House opened in December.|
Ralph Pagano's Alba at Sole On The Ocean provides classic Italian cuisine and fresh seafood with a panoramic ocean view to the northernmost parts of Miami and Miami Beach. Although the official opening isn't until 2013, the restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner now, qualifying it for December's list.
- Catch at James Royal Palm to Open Next Week
- Khong River House: Northern Thai Food and True Confessions
- Salsa Fiesta to Open New Location in Aventura
- Pubbelly Team to Open PB Steak The Second Week of January
- Lure Fishbar To Open at Loews Miami Beach Hotel
- New York's Milk Burger Coming to Miami, Maybe
- Serafina Opens in Miami Beach
- Umami Burger to Open on South Beach
- Kim Kardashian's BFF to Jonathan Cheban Opens Sushi MiKasa
The Pubbelly team opened their first restaurant outside of South Beach with the opening of their second Barceloneta in South Miami. Look for PB Steak to open the second week of January at the former Joe Allen (and Georgia's Union) space in South Beach.
Khong River House, 50 Eggs' northern Thai restaurant, opened December 17. The restaurant, which occupies the former Miss Yip space off Lincoln Road, features warm wooden accents, a gin-based cocktail program, small intimate dining areas, authentic cuisine, and a way to share your innermost thoughts with the world.
The Broken Shaker reopened at the Freehand Miami Beach. This is phase one for Gabriel Orta and Elad Zvi, who are in the process of renovating an old house adjacent to the property to serve as a restaurant and lounge, which is scheduled to open in the spring.
We said farewell to Tudor House, which was replaced by New York's Serafina, welcomed the chance to refresh with one of Feverish's pops in Midtown, and found a new celebrity hotspot with the opening of Sushi MiKasa by Jonathan Cheban, Kim Kardashian's best friend (poor Kimmy will have to stick to vegetarian rolls now that she's expecting a baby with Kanye West).
The most surprising event in December was the temporary closing of Cooper Avenue due to a/c and ventilation issues. The restaurant/market/lounge should reopen spring 2013.
What are we looking forward to in 2013? An invasion of burgers and seafood from out of town, and two new Michael Schwartz concepts.
Look for Top Chef season three winner Hung Huynh's Catch and Lure Fishbar to open in South Beach. Both restaurants have flagship eateries in New York City. Umami Burger is slated to open its first outpost on the east coast in South Beach this Spring, while New York's Milk Burger is teasing us with a Miami Twitter account. Meanwhile, Miami's own Michael Schwartz plans to open the Cypress Room and his Restaurant at the Raleigh Hotel.
- Barceloneta South Miami (5850 Sunset Drive, South Miami)
- Broken Shaker
- Feverish Ice Cream and Gourmet Pops (3252 NE First Street, Miami)
- Khong River House
- Local House
- Maoz Vegetarian
- Momi Ramen
- Safi Restaurant and Gourmet Market
- Salsa Fiesta Aventura
- Setai Grill
- Siga la Vaca
- Sushi MiKasa
- World of Beer Kendall (8525 Mills Drive, Miami)
- Machiya Ramen Noodle House changes its name to Machiya and stops serving noodles.
- Five Napkin Burger morphs into Five Napkin Grill, adding new menu items.
- 8oz. Burger Bar - Moving to the old Kim's Chinese spot.
- Barezzito - Late night sushi to open in SoBe.
- Bonding - Bond Trisransi to open an eatery in Brickell.
- Boxpark - The Hoxton's sibling, coming soon.
- Buddha Sushi Bar - Opening another location on Lincoln Road.
- Bulla - Tapas bar replaces Por Fin in Coral Gables.
- Bunnie Cakes - Vegan bakery coming to Wynwood.
- Catch - By Top Chef's Hung Huynh, due in SoBe this winter.
- Cibo Wine Bar - The second location, coming soon.
- Cipriani - New York icon due at the Icon Brickell.
- Cypress Room - Michael Schwartz's upscale tavern to open early 2013.
- Dolce - Italian restaurant coming to The Gale South Beach in January.
- Dylan's Candy Bar - Ralph Lauren's daughter is sweet on Lincoln Road, opening early 2013.
- Frita Shop - Alberto Cabrera's Cuban burger joint.
- Gravity Brewbar - Opening in Wynwood.
- Harvey Wolf - Completes the trio of European pubs, along with Boxpark and The Hoxton.
- Hoops Coconut Grove - Sports bar opening soon.
- HuaHua's - Todd Erickson's Lincoln Road tacqueria to open early 2013.
- Ikea - Coming 2014
- Jefe's Original Fish Taco & Burger - One of Miami's first food trucks goes brick and mortar.
- La Cantina 20 - Another Icon tenant getting set to move in.
- Lure Fishbar - The New York seafood restaurant is coming to the Loews Miami Beach.
- Milk Burger - New York burger joint teasing us with hints of a Miami location.
- N Lounge - Kevin Cory to open a lounge next door to NAOE. PB Steak - Pubbelly tackles steak (coming early 2013).
- Panther Coffee - Opening second location in SoBe.
- Poor Man's Lobster - From the folks at Mandolin.
- Restaurant du Cap - Philippe Ruiz' much anticipated venue coming to Brickell.
- The Restaurant at The Raleigh - Michael Schwartz' venture arriving winter 2013.
- Swine Southern Table & Bar - Yardbird's pork-centric sister (also from 50 Eggs) to open soon.
- Trader Joe's - Coming to Pinecrest in 2013
- Umami Burger - The California craze is opening
- VooDoo BBQ and Grill - Bringing some mojo to Kendall.
- Wynwood Brewing Company - Opening soon.
- Yard House - Chain grub with many many beers.
- A fast-casual Asian concept, also by 50 Eggs, is coming to South Beach, adjacent to the original Lime on Alton Road.
Follow Laine Doss on Twitter @LaineDoss and Facebook.
Follow Short Order on Facebook, on Twitter @Short_Order, and Instagram @ShortOrder.
1661 Meridian Ave., Miami Beach, FL