James Beard Announces 2013 Semifinalists: Miami Gets Several Nods
|Gabriel Orta from the Broken Shaker.|
This is actually the beginning of the long road to winning a coveted James Beard Award. The semifinalist list will be whittled down March 18, when the remaining finalists will be named in Charleston.
After that, the winners for 2013 will be announced at the annual awards gala and reception May 6 at Avery Fisher Hall in New York City.
- James Beard Semifinalists Announced: Miami Gets Several Nods
Also being honored at the gala is Emeril Lagasse, who will be named the Humanitarian of the Year. For those of you wishing to attend in person, tickets go on sale March 18.
Here are South Florida's semifinalists. Let the knuckle-biting begin!
- Khong River House (Best New Restaurant)
- The Broken Shaker (Outstanding Bar Program)
- Hedy Goldsmith, Michael's Genuine Food & Drink (Outstanding Pastry Chef)
- Giorgio Rapicavoli, Eating House (Rising Star Chef of the Year)
- Jeff McInnis, Yardbird Southern Table & Bar (Best Chef: South)
- Jose Mendin, Pubbelly (Best Chef: South)
- Clay Conley, Buccan Palm Beach (Best Chef: South)
For a complete list of semifinalists, visit jamesbeard.org.
Follow Laine Doss on Twitter @LaineDoss and Facebook.
Follow Short Order on Facebook , on Twitter @Short_Order, and Instagram @ShortOrder.
1661 Meridian Ave., Miami Beach, FL
2727 Indian Creek Drive, Miami Beach, FL
130 NE 40th St., Miami, FL
804 Ponce de Leon Blvd., Coral Gables, FL
1600 Lenox Ave., Miami Beach, FL
1418 20th St., Miami Beach, FL