Makoto Okuwa's Five Favorite Restaurants
Where the Chefs Eat is a series in which we ask Miami chefs to list their favorite local restaurants. In this installment, we spoke to Makoto Okuwa -- chef of Makoto in Bal Harbour -- about his preferred Magic City spots.
Carma PR Makoto Okuwa of Makoto in Bal Harbour
At his restaurant in the Bal Harbour Shops, Okuwa has garnered a reputation as one of the best Japanese chefs in town. His menu lists sashimi and maki -- like cured mackerel or lobster, ginger, pickled jicama, asparagus, tobiko, and avocado roll. There's ramen, robata-grilled foods, and a dynamite hand roll with baked crab and creamy ponzu.
Okuwa enjoys dining out too. Here, in his own words, are his favorite restaurants in Miami.
1. Beer and Burger Joint: Because of its nice flavored burger buns and diverse selections of burger options and extensive beer menu.
2. Momi Ramen: The broth flavor, chewy noodles, juicy meat, along its traditional style and atmosphere, make it one of my favorite places around.
3. Harry's Pizzeria: The fresh ingredients, crispy crusts, and nice spins on traditional pizzas are wonderful. There's great flavor in all pizza selections.
4. Pubbelly: It offers a nice twist on Asian cuisine, and there's always something new.
5. Wynwood Kitchen + Bar: This spot offers great quality food with nice price point, along with nice small plates to share. You can try a lot of different things.
Follow Emily on Twitter @EmilyCodik.
1766 Bay Road, Miami Beach, FL
5 SW 11th St., Miami, FL
3918 N. Miami Ave., Miami, FL
1418 20th St., Miami Beach, FL
2550 NW 2nd Ave., Miami, FL