Michelle Bernstein Lists Her Five Favorite Restaurants in Miami
Michelle Bernstein will drive for food.
Jacob Katel Michelle Bernstein loves grilled quail and Korean barbecued tongue.
The James Beard Award-winning chef of Michy's ventures north to Lauderhill for Korean barbecue, down to South Miami for Middle Eastern fare, and east to Bal Harbour Shops for Japanese cuisine.
Here, in her own words, are her favorite restaurants in town.
1. Garcia's Seafood Grille & Fish Market: "Garcia's is the quintessential Miami restaurant, especially because it's on the water and accessible by boat. It serves amazing stone crabs, whole fish, Florida lobsters, and some of the best plátanos maduros in town."
2. Gabose Restaurant: "It's my favorite Korean place around. I don't mind the 30-minute drive to Lauderhill at all. At the end of my journey, I know I'm going to have grilled kalbi and tongue sizzling in the middle of my table. There are also more types of kimchee and salads than I can even remember."
3. Makoto: "For a delicious and beautiful Japanese experience, you have to drive to Bal Harbour Shops. Not only is the sushi unbelievably good, fresh, and artfully presented, but the rest of the menu is also amazing. The tuna on crispy rice, salads, eggplant, and other satisfying grilled vegetables are great."
4. Bourbon Steak: "There's just something about Bourbon Steak that I love. I never sit at a table; my husband and I prefer the bar. The service is so attentive and respectful, and chef Gabriel Fenton is one of the best young chefs in Miami. His products are handpicked. His shellfish, sides, and salads are all delicious. I especially enjoy the specials. I also have to have the New York strip, which I share with my hubby."
5. Khoury's Mediterranean Restaurant: "I wish I could eat there more often, but South Miami is a little far for me. This has always been my favorite Middle Eastern restaurant -- thanks to their servings of raw kibbeh, which very few places serve. (It's like tartare, only better.) There's amazing labneh, sausages, tabbouleh, grilled quail. I could go on and on."
Follow Emily on Twitter @EmilyCodik.
398 NW N. River Drive, Miami, FL
19999 W. Country Club Drive, Aventura, FL