How to Roast Your Thanksgiving Turkey in La Caja China
When it comes to Thanksgiving, there's no right or wrong way of celebrating the holiday -- especially here, where various customs and traditions are merged into one.
Photos courtesy of La Caja China La Caja China #3 AKA La Cajita China
In Miami, as long as you have a good spread of food and are surrounded by friends and family, it doesn't matter whether you're eating yams or boniato.
There's also no right or wrong way of cooking your Thanksgiving turkey. But if you want to switch things up this year, try roasting your turkey in La Caja China. This model, known as "La Cajita China", is a mini version of La Caja China -- a contraption used for roasting whole hogs. This little box is perfect for roasting turkeys of up to 16 pounds.
The good people over at La Caja China shared their hassle-free recipe for roasting a turkey with us. Check it out below.
Turkey roasted in La Cajita China
1. Make sure that your turkey is well-thawed before roasting. Brine it in a solution made of 4 tablespoons of salt per quart of water for at least one hour. Remember that the turkey should be completely submerged in liquid.
3. Once the bird's ready for roasting, get your La Caja China ready and prep it up. If you're roasting the turkey whole, place it on top of the roaster, breast side-down. If you want it split-up, secure the bird onto the rack using the 4 S-hooks.
4. Pour in a cup of water into the drip tray. Add spices, beer, or our very own mojo sauce to make the meat more flavorful.
5. Place the turkey inside the box with the thermometer probe attached.
6. Position the ash pan and charcoal grid on top of the box. Add charcoal. (The amount depends on the model of your Caja China.)
8. Spread the charcoal evenly and let the turkey cook for one hour.
9. Remove the ash pan set and place it on top of the long handles. Turn the turkey on the other side and add more charcoal every hour.
10. Check the temperature of the meat in the breast, outer thigh, and inner thigh areas. If it's at least 165 degrees, then it's ready for serving!
Want a Caja China model #3? Call 1-800-338-1323 or visit lacajachina.com.